Sunday, March 3, 2013

It's All Part of the Plan

As far as previous students' posts go, I was most interested in Ian MacArthur's posts because I know him personally and was in a class with him last semester while his writing process was going on, so I wanted to see how the story I kind of saw happening with him as he talked about it before and after this other class really played out in blog form. Two of his posts I read and really liked are here and here. It was cool to see how his thesis comparing Iago and The Joker developed, plus to see how solid some of his ideas were even early on (such as the awesome line about how villains are only interesting if they drive the story plot I found in his rough draft). I feel like he faced a lot of the same challenges I'm going to face, so it's a great resource to be able to look at his writing process.

I'm pretty sure connections like this is exactly what Dr. Burton was planning on happening. Like the Joker says, "It's all part of the plan."

2 comments:

  1. I glanced over his posts, and I really liked them too. I think the idea of villains only being interesting unless they drive the plot is intriguing. Do you think you'll write about something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul and Kaylee, I read Ian's posts as well and was really interested by his ideas of villains in Shakepeare's play being liked because we relate to them. It seemed like he'd already discussed his love of villains in class before the paper began, so it was cool to see him really writing about something he'd thought about before the paper started.

    ReplyDelete