Thursday, November 1, 2012

A wicked new thesis


Shakespeare’s villains embodied the fears of 16th century England. They were fascinating and terrifyingly complex characters. Perhaps then, Christopher Nolan’s Joker, as a representation of post 9/11 fears, is a descendant of Iago, Edmund, and the rest of Shakespeare’s reprobate band.

I just posted that on Facebook and am awaiting the virtual tar and feathers. I tried to shave it down but this is the best I could get for right now. I decided  to focus primarily on the point that contemporary villains are still based off of Shakespeare's model. I am going to dedicate some part of the paper to further exploring the villains, particularly through their soliloquies, and then come to my main point.

Social Graph: 
My parents, siblings, and my wife are all hearing my plans for this paper. I also have several good friends who are fellow literature enthusiasts on whom I can always count. I'm also going to ask my film friends what they think about this thesis, I'd like to hear their input. Of course my fellow classmates are included in this as well.

New Media:
Social Networks:
  • I'm using both Facebook and Goodreads. Goodreads is new to me so i am just exploring now.
Traditional scholarly sources: 

1 comment:

  1. What you list under New Media are actually examples of social networks (and are great finds -- I notice Dana has already followed suit in posting to the Shakespeare Facebook page). But look for alternate forms of media now available to us digitally. How about finding a lecture about villains or one of the plays you focus on? How about a presentation on these topics made available via slideshare.net or prezi.com?

    The annotations on your traditional sources are too spare -- makes me wonder if you actually read in them or just found the titles or links to them. I don't expect you to read every word, but you need to represent your time and thought spent digesting any given source.

    ReplyDelete