Monday, November 12, 2012

Mawridge, Mawridge is what brings us togewther tewday!

Initially I was stupefied at the daunting task of where to begin.  Then I went to the my common search engine, Google and found much more than I originally anticipated.  There are symposiums EVERYWHERE and even if you can't find a recent one you can look at the page of symposium that occurred in the past and (ideally) find a link to the more current page.  I found the 18th Annual CSU Shakespeare Symposium at CSU (California State University) Fullerton back in 2010.  Its a joint effort put on by The Acacia Group and As You Like Shakespeare Society.  I found that the quest speaker was a Louise Sorel who actually played Katherine in Taming of the Shrew on stage.  She would be a great example of someone who I found because of content, however, I decided to go through another individual and ask her a few questions because of her career as a professional actress.  (She is also easier to contact because I don't have an Imdb or LinkedIn account.)
In order to strengthen my mini paper I decided that I needed more historical context so I obtained the book recommended by Professor Burton, and read the chapters that I thought pertained to marriage.  I also e-mailed the author who happens to be a professor at BYU and am waiting to hear back.  Meanwhile I will probably go back to the library for more biographical/historical information as I have already proven that to be a valuable resource in the past.
If anyone sees anything regarding family life in Elizabethan times I'd love to have you link it to this page or let me know where I can find it!

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember what the book was called, but there was an informational text about Shakespearean times that included a little information about the typical family dynamics of Shakespeare's day. If you want the name, I could try and e-mail the teacher I worked with in 276 for the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great actually. Who knows I might actually find it in the library.

      Delete