Monday, November 12, 2012

Rhetorical Research

As I have been continuing to research for my paper, I have decided the best audience for my paper would probably be teachers in the secondary school setting. I want to show my English Teaching professors my ideas and ask them what they think about trying to apply this in real schools with real students.

As I have continued my research, I have tried to expand both the social networking and the traditional research components. I have found that not many teachers in the secondary school setting are familiar or comfortable with teach rhetoric in their classroom. However, from the research I have gathered I have found that this is because they do not know that they are already teaching principles that come from rhetoric, they just did not know that it was called rhetoric. I think that teachers could help their students even more in writing and language development by making sure to overtly teach rhetoric and try to implement rhetorical exercises and principles.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried asking the English 150 (Writing & Rhetoric) professors here at BYU? Their opinions would surely help I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I wonder if you could even interview Dr. Burton and use him as a source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend you talk to Dr. Brian Jackson, who has a degree in rhetoric and has been in leadership with writing instruction at BYU.

    ReplyDelete