Thursday, November 8, 2012

Progress on Thesis and Bibliography

I have tinkered with my first paragraph thanks to Gabe's and Malory's suggestions. I still don't think it is quite where I like it but it is helping. I have been trying to find some more social proof and while my bibliography isn't quite done yet, it has gotten better.



I'm still working on my new bibliography but I have a few new things to post.
NEW MEDIA
http://www.slideshare.net/cstrayer/othello-background-notes
This website has some interesting power points full of information about the play's history and themes. 

Here is a blog that I found and have posted a question on. It is all about the ingredients of Shakespearean villains. This is something I am going to want to site.
http://whatsitallaboutshakespeare.blogspot.com/2011/12/recipe-for-great-shakespearean-villain.html?showComment=1352358140290#c5854624268826375061 

SOCIAL MEDIA
I have rephrased my Facebook post and am awaiting some responses! We will see what happens. I left Shakespeare out of it and am trying to trick people into a conversation!



The Shakespearean villain is a fascinating and enduring element of literature. Shakespeare understood humanity well. He created complex and engaging villains who were genuinely terrifying. The question is how did he do this? These dastardly characters are developed through various means. Soliloquies give us a glimpse into the evil minds of men like Iago or Edmund. Through their soliloquies we learn of their motives and designs and are sometimes able to relate to them. They become personal and very real.   These methods have set the stage, so to say, for all generations of villains following Shakespeare and are still used today. Some of the most memorable villains of all drama and cinema have been based on this model. Of Shakespeare's most despicable villains the most fascinating topic of discussion regards their motives. Scholars have debated whether Iago is a showcase of wickedness in humanity or if his motives are so purely based in the love of evil that he is a metaphor for evil in general. This ambiguity of motive is reminiscent of a villain in modern cinema, The Joker from Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight. A careful analysis of the two characters suggests that the Joker is a modern descendent of Iago, built upon the same lusts for evil and chaos.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment