Monday, November 5, 2012

Revisions, revisions.

I misunderstood the original tweethis/bibliography post idea, and split them up. The combined/revised version follows:

Tweethis. Prince Hal in Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 1 surely grew much in his experiences with Falstaff and the lowbrow tavern crowd, so much that he understood better the common man in his later ascent to the throne and in his reign as King Henry V. However, looking at some chronicles of history concerning Hal's relationship to King Richard II, Shakespeare's depiction of Hal's rebellion can be seen as a manner of disapproval or dissatisfaction with his father's usurpation of the crown.

Social Graph. With my thesis leaning toward a historical approach, and my lack of friends who have a knowledge of British history, I haven't been able to get much from roommates, friends or family. I admit I'm also hindered by the fact that I haven't had any formal schooling on British history myself.

New Media. I've dabbled in goodreads and imdb for a few. I've enjoyed reading several reviews on goodreads about not only Henry IV, Part 1, but I also ended up looking into what people had to say about the preceding play, Richard II, and also Henry IV, Part 2. I watched the most recent film adaptation of this play which is part of a BBC series titled The Hollow Crown, which covers from Richard II to Henry V. This version's portrayal of Prince Hal is pretty true to what Shakespeare wrote him to be, so while I really loved the production, it didn't back me up with where I'm going. Back to goodreads for a second, I also checked for groups on Henry IV, but I was given nothing.

Social Networks. I posted my tweethis on Facebook, but I'm afraid that because of my lack of friends who would have a British history background, I won't get any responses. So far I have no hits on it, and it's been posted for almost a week. I recently joined Twitter and explored what would come up concerning Henry IV, Part 1 but my results were primarily pictures of Tom Hiddleston, the actor who plays Prince Hal.

Traditional Scholarly Resources. I have a book in hand that was temporarily bequeathed to me by Professor Burton and it is pretty rich with a smorgasbord of contexts and cultural writings concerning Henry IV, Part 1. One historical account is found in a part of the book pulls from "The Brut, or The Chronicles of England" which is where I took on the idea that Prince Hal's rebellious years didn't start so nobly.

I feel several literary sparks deep down inside me, but I'm still failing to get on fire with this. Maybe I'm shooting for something too specific out of my field.

No comments:

Post a Comment