Monday, November 12, 2012

Improvements in Researching A Midsummer Night's Dream

What has been working:
I've had a ton of helpful feedback through social media.
I've been able to speak personally to people involved/interested in the research that I'm doing. (As an update: In a few conversations that I've had just with friends recently I've been able to run the idea of teaching with the graphic novel by them... and I've had a lot of great responses. Even just my own peers seem interested in the idea, and a lot have expressed that this would have really helped them when they were reading Shakespeare in secondary school.)
I've found a fair amount of research backing up and/or challenging my claims.

What I've been working to improve:
Actual analysis of A Midsummer Night's Dream as a specific vehicle to prove that my ideas work. (Specifically, I was really excited to find a graphic novel version of A Midsummer Night's Dream available in the library. I've been looking at that to find more specifics of where the book could actually serve to better teach an understanding and/or analysis of the text.)
I mentioned that I've found some research regarding my claims, but not enough. I need to find more, and that's my next step.

2 comments:

  1. You probably have done this, but in case you haven't, have you looked up graphic novels in the English Journal? Maybe it can lead you to some info about data gathered about the success of using graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle,

    I feel like I'm on the same page as you. My ideas are getting good feedback, but in terms of applying the actual text and getting into specifics of it is kind of difficult.
    Have you tried looking online for your play in graphic novel format?

    ReplyDelete