Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Video, Some Progress, and the Graphic Novel

Report of feedback from initial draft:

My paper has changed in massive ways due to some of the awesome feedback that I've received from people (I've mentioned some of these changes on previous posts). Since I posted my first draft, I've already made a major change in focus--I'm planning now to focus a lot more on the graphic novel rather than trying to talk about media, AND text, AND who knows what else I would have come up with... 

I posted a link to my draft on Facebook:



And then I received some feedback from friends that I WAS NOT expecting, like this response:


I also had a few people in my ward say things like, "Hey, I saw that paper thing you posted to Facebook... that graphic novel idea sounds pretty cool." Another comment from Dr. Burton made me realize that maybe I really have something here with this graphic novel focus...

So, I'll just be focusing on non-traditional texts as a way to engage secondary students in the reading of Shakespeare. My video explains it more, so let me know what things are clear or unclear:


As far as Social graph, new media, social networks, and traditional scholarly sources are concerned... I'm really happy with my initial approaches. I've been finding a lot of valuable information in each category. As I mention in my video, I now need to look more specifically at studies with the graphic novel--and I may find these through scholarly sources, but I may also find real-life examples from those around me. I'm excited to see where this new focus takes my paper.

I also mentioned in class that a cool end-goal for me would be to eventually publish in the English Journal--a journal that I've always been interested in publishing in anyway. I could see myself applying the use of graphic novels into my own classroom, and then writing about how it did (or didn't) work. I also liked the idea, from a few people in class, of submitting to something like Criterion as a more short-term goal.

4 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant idea! Very few kids like to read Shakespeare. I agree that something visual, like a graphic novel, is a great way to preserve the language experience of reading Shakespeare, while at the same time making it easier to follow. Your video was also very concise and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are really trying to meet people's needs with your ideas. Graphic novels are effective ways of reaching students. It sounds like a popular idea. As long as it is well written/adapted, it could be a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might consider referencing the article that Crowe shared in class? I think that it might be beneficial especially since it is written entirely in pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ian that the visual approach with the graphic novel would be great for kids, especially the ones in high school.
    An interesting approach for you to take would be to look at how online versions of graphic novels and how those could be implemented in schools. I know that DC Comics and Marvel are having a lot of success publishing their comics online (it's fast, convenient and easily transferable).
    Great video too.

    ReplyDelete