Thursday, November 8, 2012

Video, Process, and Bibliography

Here's my video preview:


(I spent over two frustrating hours trying to get this to work, so I hope it came through okay this time... if not, I'm sorry.)

Social Networks/New Media:
Thanks to the comments on my 1st draft, I was tipped off to find a link to some scholarly essays about "Measure for Measure," which is great, since I've struggled to find sites related to this specific play. This site has other plays as well, and gives access to digital versions of first folios, prompt books, illustrations, etc., so it could be useful for others, too: http://college.holycross.edu/projects/isp/measure/mainmenu.html

I joined a “Shakespeare Fans” book group through Goodreads, where you can participate in discussions with other readers, and posted my tweethis there originally, requesting feedback from other fans.
I didn't get any response to this post, but I think it may have been the way I approached the question, so I went back and posted again, but this time asking for information/research suggestions about marriage customs during the Renaissance and thoughts on how this may apply to an interpretation of "Measure for Measure."
I also posted it in a more visible/visited section of the forum, so I'm hoping this will yield better results.

I spent a lot of time surfing Twitter in search of good resources, and although I found some cool Shakespeare fans, including modernized Shakespeare improv groups, Shakespeare-themed musical performances, Modern-day Shakespeare blogs, and Shakespeare quote pages, most didn't really seem helpful for my topic. Maybe because I've never been on Twitter before, so this was all a learning experience for me. I did find one great site as a result of my topic/people search: http://theshakespearestandard.com/
This site is dedicated to all things Shakespeare, and has information about upcoming scholarships and paper competitions, various Shakespeare performances, and even Shakespeare-related internship opportunities. Pretty cool, although I still didn't find much about marriage/Measure for Measure.

I also messaged several friends on Facebook regarding my "tweethis" topic, as well as asking my roommates and another English major in person, and although most said they were unfamiliar with both "Measure for Measure" and marriage during the Renaissance period, my grandfather gave me some good feedback on Facebook that helped me hone my research process.

Scholarly resources:

Lasch, Christopher. "The Suppression of Clandestine Marriage in England: The Marriage Act of 1753." Salmagundi, No. 26. Skidmore College. JSTOR, 5 Nov. 2012.
Marcus, Leah. “London.” Critical Essays on Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure. Ed. Richard P. Wheeler. New York: G. K. Hall & Co., 1999.
McNabb, Jennifer. "Ceremony versus Consent: Courtship, Illegitimacy, and Reputation in Northwest England, 1560-1610." The Sixteenth Century Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1. JSTOR, 5 Nov. 2012.
Ranald, Margaret Loftus. "'As Marriage Binds, and Blood Breaks': English Marriage and Shakespeare." Shakespeare Quarterly. JSTOR, 5 Nov 2012.
Shuger, Debora K. Political Theologies in Shakespeare’s England. New York: Palgrave, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment