Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The altruistic scholar, Steve this is for you

Your thesis sounds very interesting an I am interested to see where you can go with it.  I have never read Coriolanus and I am unfamiliar with the story, the twist on the pride angle I find to be pretty interesting.  Watching different adaptations could help your analysis because the difference between the actor's representations may reveal a common thread.

I did find one article about transcendent language in Coriolanus.  I am not sure how helpful any of my research will be for you, but it could be potentially interesting.  Besides the film version of the play from 2011 there was another made in 1984.  Knowing movies from the 80's... its probably fantastic.

This is just a small start in research.  I am not sure it will help at all, but...  Are you taking a psychological approach?  Nature vs. Nurture seems like a good place to be, especially within the scope of the effect the culture has on Coriolanus and his tragedy.  Outside the play, you could do some research into psychology specifically, independent of the play.

1 comment:

  1. I like the nature v. nurture idea as well, but I would make sure you decide on a "so what?" for it, like what are the implications, on a smaller scale, of "nature v. nurture" within your paper.

    ReplyDelete