Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Now We're Back to the Beginning"

Here are a few quotes I am considering for my paper.  I have posted my very brief and inadequate rough draft and so I am hoping these quotes will give me better insight into Iago's character, better tie ins to Jung, and more direction for my research paper.  Once I have a better foundation and grasp of Iago, I will have a direction to head.


Were I the Moor I would not be Iago.
In following him I follow but myself;
Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty,
But seeming so for my peculiar end.
For when my outward action doth demonstrate
The native act and figure of my heart
In compliment extern, ’tis not long after
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at. I am not what I am. (I.i.57–65)

 Iago offers this dialogue in speaking to Roderigo and it exemplifies the twisted nature of his character reflected in the cunning twists of his language.  He openly seems to admit to his duplicity "I am not what I am" and by being open about this, is purposefully more cryptic in the way he communicates it.  The first line in particular "Were I the Moor I would not be Iago," says very little about him in all actuality while appearing to be communicating much.

How poor are they that have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees?
Thou know'st we work by wit, and not by witchcraft;
And wit depends on dilatory time. (II.iii.376-379)


Iago is attempting to convince a lovesick Roderigo to stay so as to win Desdemona's heart, when, in reality, Iago needs him to bring about the ultimate ends of his revenge on Othello.  While he is trying to convince Roderigo to stay, he reveals a bit about himself, the patience he has seems to be his only true and consistent personal characteristic besides an overabundance of energy dedicated to vengeance.

Similar to those above, continued are other quotes by Iago that deal principally with proving his duplicitous character not only in his interactions with others, but in his overall lack of a conclusive stream of a concrete personality or self.  The thing that grounds him as a character is his villainy, often he behaves graciously, other times outright meanly in his attempts to reach his aims.  He seeks vengeance on Othello either over suspicion of his having slept with Iago's wife or for giving Cassio a promotion he felt he deserved.  Or even both?  Either way, his motivations do not seem to drive him.  It is the ends that drive him.  It doesn't seem to matter what drives him.  He seems to be finding motivations to fit his behavior rather than fitting his behavior to his motivations.


I follow him to serve my turn upon him. (I.i.42)

I have profess'd me thy friend, and I confess me knit to thy
deserving with cables of perdurable toughness. I could never better
stead thee than now. Put money in thy purse; follow thou the
wars; defeat thy favor with an usurp'd beard. I say put money in
thy purse. It cannot be long that Desdemona should continue her
love to the Moor—put money in thy purse—nor he his to her.  (I.iii.336-344)


O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss,
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger:
But O, what damnèd minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves! (III.iii.165-171)


Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed. (III.iii.155-161)


But for my sport and profit. I hate the Moor:
And it is thought abroad, that 'twixt my sheets
He has done my office: I know not if't be true;
But I, for mere suspicion in that kind,
Will do as if for surety. (I.iii.12)


The Moor is of a free and open nature,
That thinks men honest that but seem to be so,
And will tenderly by led by th'nose... (I.iii)




2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of Iago not really having true motivations, like you said, but justifying his innate desires by making claims that really would drive other men to revenge. He seems disconnected from the situation, kind of psychopathic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I just found this comment from an online global Shakespeare conference. The comment is entitled "I, Iago," by Nicole Galland, and I thought it might be helpful! It's not too long. http://shaksper.net/archive/2012/315-april/28514--i-iago-by-nicole-galland-

    ReplyDelete