Monday, March 18, 2013

Anotated Bibliography. . . . (finally)

Thesis: Though Coriolanus is commonly seen as a tragedy centered around the downfalls of pride in the individual the tragedy actually is found in the faults of a culture and society that cultivates such extreme pride to such extent that it breeds contempt among its people.

Social Graph: 1. My wife, Michelle Kesler.  She is more brilliant then I will ever be so she is a great person to bounce ideas off of when she can find the time away from her own studies to shed some light on the things that I'm doing.  2. My mom, Carla Verschoor.  I love my mom, but she is more of just a yes person for me.  I seek her feedback when I need encouragement.  She is amazing at so many things and I could never hope to be as awesome as her but literary studies are not her strong suit. 3.  My good friend Peter Dangerfield.  Peter graduated from the BYU English program back in 2009 and he knows his stuff pretty darn well.  I have often had him look over my papers in the past and he has never lead me astray with his insight.

New Media: 1. One of the obvious forms of new media I have consulted is the recent Film adaptation of Coriolanus Starring Ralph Fiennes and Gerrard Butler that came out in 2011. (trailer)  This version gives a really great portrayal of the conflict in a modern setting. (the film is great I highly recommend it) 2. http://theshakespeareblog.com/2011/06/shakespeares-fathers-nature-or-nurture/. This blog had some great insight about the nature vs. nurture argument in regards to father figures in some of Shakespeare's plays.

Social Networks: 1. I went ahead and posted my rough thesis on Goodreads.  I am hoping that since Coriolanus is one of the lesser loved Shakespeare plays that maybe that will play to my advantage and my post will bring out all the Coriolanus geeks and I will get a lot of feedback.

Traditional Scholarly Resources:  These are a few articles that I found that I thought could  potentially lend insight and support to my argument.   All of them dealt in some shape or form with the ideas of nature vs. nurture or helped me understand in greater depth the details of the play.                                                                                     

Passion, Prudence, and Virtue in Shakespearean Drama
'There is a world elsewhere': Tragedy and History in Coriolanus
Academic Journal
By: Meszaros, Patricia K. Studies in English Literature (Rice). Spring76, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p273. 13p.
Subjects: 
TEXTUAL criticism; CRITICISM; CORIOLANUS (Theatrical production); SHAKESPEARE, William, 1564-1616


Coriolanus and the Roman World of Contradiction: A Paradoxical World Elsewhere. By: Polka, Brayton. European Legacy. Apr2010, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p171-194. 24p. DOI: 10.1080/10848771003647923.

The Common Good and the Necessity of War: Emergent Republican Ideals in Shakespeare's "Henry V" and "Coriolanus." By: Banerjee, Rita. Comparative Drama. Spring2006, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p29-49. 21p.

No comments:

Post a Comment