Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Let me know what you think!

Okay, I'm formulating a better thesis than my rough draft one, still going off the research that I have, but including this idea of the oracle. This is probably too long to be considered my finalized thesis, but I wanted your thoughts and suggestions before I dive into my paper again. I hope this one has more direction than my previous draft and can appeal to a more specific audience (although I'm not totally decided on what that audience is yet).

When asked what genre is most true to life, most people would answer tragedies. We have a tendency as a society to believe that the worst is going to happen, and hoping anything positive will is wishful thinking. Romances, however, are a mix of tragedy and comedy, and while Shakespeare's romance The Winter's Tale has been criticized since its beginning as being unrealistic, Leontes' experience with the oracle within the play becomes a metaphor for the audience's rejection of The Winter's Tale, seemingly based on a desire to be realistic, but in reality predicated on an inability to see recognize the romantic elements of life.  

5 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! that's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a definite instigator that your thesis doesn't necessarily need to be one sentence. But that's just me. I think this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Rachel! That's a paper I want to read. I wonder if any biographical evidence could prove Shakespeare's own life was more Romantic than tragic. I know he suffered a lot with his son dying, but overall his own rise to fame seems a pretty Romantic story. Maybe that could support your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very valid application of the real-life definitions of tragedy/romance etc. Oh and I like involved metaphors like the oracle and the audience's reaction to the play! This is an engaging topic. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you're incorporating the oracle into your paper. In earlier versions of your thesis, I didn't feel like it packed enough punch. But the oracle is a specific enough element to guide your argument, so great job.

    ReplyDelete