Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Case of the Mondays

The top commenter would not agree with my thesis.
I find this response from a lot of commenters on reality TV articles.
Luckily the guy blow has my back.
(I took this screen schot)
Monday I managed to sit down and spend the class time figuring out which moves I wanted to make in paper. My main question is if the order in which I will discuss my topic makes logical sense. Should I rearrange anything, add in explanations, take out unnecessary ones, etc.? I have a hard time telling whether or not my logic makes sense to others, so it's really helpful when I have a few people read over a short outline of my paper before I begin (and English majors/Shakespearian scholars (that's you!) usually give better feedback than my mother).  




Introduction
Critics: 
My Argument: reality TV is a derivative of Shakespearean theater (with maybe a little less class), even finding its roots in early theatrical aspects such as commedia dell’Arte, or the use of stock characters. By focusing on the artistic, albeit ridiculous, aspects of reality TV such as editing to form a plot and the creation and dramatization of stock characters, we can shed reality TV in a new light, taking away from some of the superficiality that we can't seem to shake in reality TV.
Move 1: Shakespearean theater is comprised of...
-commedia dell'Arte
-storytelling
-character development
-plot
Move 2: These aspects influence modern pop culture in various ways:
-movies
-TV shows (not reality)
-books
-why is reality TV any different? (it's not)
Move 3: What is Reality TV?
-how it's edited/manipulated
Move 4: Reality TV's bad reputation
-dramatic
-unrealistic
-poor morals
Move 5: Looking at reality TV in a new light
-"frankenbiting" as a form of storytelling
-character creation/development
-similarities seen in Shakespearean theater
-Commedia dell'Arte
Move 6: Issue of realness of reality TV
-differences between Shakespeare's suspension of disbelief, and the lack thereof in reality TV
Move 7/Conclusion: Seeing reality TV as storytelling instead of reality helps take away from the superficiality of reality TV
-Can begin to see reality TV more positively
-better entertainment
-a new form of media, theater/art?


UPDATE: Something else I could maybe use a little help with as well is using the primary text within my paper. Where would be some good places to insert quotes that wouldn't seem so contrived? I feel like every time I try to do this it just doesn't fit. 


5 comments:

  1. This is genius! I REALLY don't like reality tv, but I LOVE the way you are doing this! I can't give a definite answer or feedback about it (just because you haven't written it yet), but job well done! The outline looks great! I'll try to find some quotes for you though or at least possible resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a good way to outline, Bailey, and an awesome thesis. I haven't seen it since I looked at your earliest posts. I like what you've done with it. Something that might seem insignificant but might really pack the final punch to one of your points is to see how reality TV shows name their episodes. I've often often TV shows allude to other works in the titles of their episodes. Maybe there's some reality show that named an episode after a Shakespeare play? Romeo and Juliet HAS to have showed up somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great point I didn't even consider, Paul! I will definitely look into that!

      Delete
  3. This is starting to emerge and I like it. Consider another connection between the two (a point shared by those studying video games...), and that is the popular / populist nature of reality programming. Theater in Shakespeare's day was also populist and not legitimated as high culture until much later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly the point I was going to make! Or the question I was going to ask, at least...Was there as bad a reputation for Shakespeare's work as there is for reality tv? Will reality tv one day be as revered as Shakespeare's plays? (hm)(what would his critics say if he could see us now? haha)

      Delete