Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lame, I guess?

Crash and Burn.
Creative Commons License (finally found one!) 
Just a quick update: I just got an email from the conference I submitted to, and they said that my topic doesn't fit closely enough for them to work it into their conference.

On one hand, I'm kinda let down; on the other, I'm relieved. I've been stressed about this paper recently, and it feels good to know that, at this point, I'm not going to have to read it in front of hundreds of intellectuals that do this kinda thing for a living. On the other hand, I would have loved to go to the conference, and it would have been a huge boost to my career (especially since I'm still an undergrad).

Overall, though, this has been a positive experience. Having to think about how to fit my paper to the conference has helped me develop my idea further, and given me a more clear direction to move in. Also, the conference organizers (Fred and Monika) were very kind, and I'm thinking about asking them if I can resubmit a proposal for my reworked paper topic, which lines more closely with their conference. I see now how having to submit our papers is an important part of writing them: it helps us ensure that we have good topics, and that we're doing a good job.

In any case, it's time to follow the advice of a very wise man:

From Disney's The Rescuers.
Screencap found via Google Images. 
EDIT: I asked them if I could resubmit, and they said they'd already finalized the program. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

5 comments:

  1. Way to be already vetting for publication, though, David! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, it's cool that you were willing to rework your paper to your audience! I bet you'll find a great venue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you're a step ahead of me! By the way - what's your intended career?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to become an English professor. Publishing papers is a major factor in deciding who gets hired, promoted, etc., so publishing as an undergrad would have been awesome.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, but good on you for trying. I hope you can find something else!

    ReplyDelete