Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Video Preview: King Lear and Blindness


Don't you love the pained look on my face when I talk about my ideas?

Anyway, this video helped me pick out the most salient points of my argument, the ones I need to focus on the most: the cliffs of Dover scene read as Edgar giving his father new life (not read as a comedy, in other words) and the little glimmers of hope for Gloucester's future that are in surrounding scenes. Clearly, blind studies needs to be included as a background, but I need to get back to diving into the primary text even more than I already have.

5 comments:

  1. This was a good video. You address your arguments and all the challenges to it, and you present your topic clearly, your analysis of it, and the means by which you arrive at that conclusion. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, so Nyssa - would you be interested in talking to a blind woman about all of this? Seeing her perspective on it? I know someone you could talk to, and obviously I'd have to check and make sure it's OK with her first, but I might be able to get you her number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mikaela, that would be awesome! I'll talk to you in class.

      Delete
  3. Mikaela - "seeing" her perspective? :) hee hee...sorry.

    Nyssa - I love the idea you presented about Edgar helping his father start a new life, in which he can be a blind man and still survive. The moment he gets up after "falling" so many feet is the moment of rebirth, inspired/contrived by Edgar. I don't know if you want to focus on this, but I just thought of the tremendous transformative effect it has on Edgar to be able to help his father. Maybe there is an argument in seeing how people who associate with the blind are defined/created by that association. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, I like that a lot, maybe as conclusion material. Thanks for the great idea!

      Delete