Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Wild ideas for Lauren R.

Lauren I love your ideas about character and Im looking forward to talking more about them with you tomorrow.  As I was looking back at your blog posts one of your ideas caught my attention. This is from your "Teaching others to love what I love" post:

" Iago changes so seamlessly from character.  It brings up the question of identity.  Actors dive into their characters, but how does that factor into when those characters dive into a disguise.  How far does it go? Is the character ever lost?  These questions fascinate me and I find that I am looking for a central idea, but I have a point at which to dive off!"

When I read that for some reason I thought of a wild movie written by Charlie Kaufmen called Synecdoche NewYork.  In it, a crazy play write gets insanely lost in a play he is writing and the character he is playing. The boundaries that separate the identity of the actor and the identity of the character are extremely blurred.   If you are still looking for ways to flesh out your thesis watching this film might help to give you some direction. 

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty much what I am trying to wrap my head around! The character of Iago is a whirlpool of possibility, a character I am anxious to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Stranger than Fiction" is a movie with Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson which kind of deals with this as well. Will Ferrell is just a regular guy who one day realizes that his life is being narrated and everything he hears from this voice comes true. What is even cooler is that the author is IN his same world, all of a sudden she is written into the story.

    Also, this reminds me of when Shakespearean actors who were young boys would have to play girls pretending to be boys, like Viola in Twelfth Night. How do you show each of those layers of who you are acting as?

    ReplyDelete