Sunday, March 31, 2013

Bibliography part two

And my research into time and The Winter's Tale continues...
1. As I was reading The Arden Shakespeare edition of The Winter's Tale I came across a footnote I want to use that takes information from Joshua Sylvester's Du Bartas. Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to find a full text of it so I can figure out how to cite it. [source referred to in a scholarly edition of the primary text]
2. Being in Time: Self Consciousness, Time and Narrative in Philosophy and Literature. This had some useful information on the affect time has on mourning which I'm going to use in relation to Leontes. [source found through an academic archive, an e book]
3. Remembrance of Things Past by M. Proust. Dr. Burton actually mentioned this to me when I told him I was thinking about Leontes mourning and it has some interesting perspectives on grief/loss that I'm not sure whether or not I'll use yet [source recommended by a person, scholarly monograph, older source]
4. Broken Harmony: Shakespeare and the Politics of Music by Joseph M. Ortiz. I'm trying to interpret what it says about Shakespeare and music in terms of time (rhythm, dance, etc.) [monograph, recent source]
5. An excerpt from a biography of Shakespeare written in the 18th Century by Nicholas Rowe that talks about Shakespeare breaking the unity of time in The Winter's Tale. I found it in the library in one of the Shakespeare literary criticism volumes [source found browsing physical library shelves]
6. Also from the same literary criticism volume, I found an essay by Charles Gildon from the 18th Century criticizing Shakespeare breaking the unity of time [source found by browsing physical library shelves]
7. No Sweat Shakespeare Blog. The page I was looking at specifically was from a few weeks ago about Season imagery in The Winter's Tale and actually Rachel recommended it to me - I plan on writing some about how time constrains the characters via the seasons [source recommended by a person, source that came via a social network, an academic blog, very current]
8. I joined the
Shakespeare fans group on goodreads and have been reading through some of the comments on The Winter's Tale. I think later this week I might work up the guts to start posting in it and asking people some questions about my paper! [very current, academic blog, source that came via social network]

3 comments:

  1. Hi, am I allowed to comment here? (I'm the "Martin" Rachel made contact with in goodreads.)

    I think you should say who the editor of your Arden edition is: the Arden Shakespeare redo their editions every 25 years or so (jobs for the boys!), and the one I have is edited by Pafford.

    I think Rowe can be misunderstood. He points out Shakespeare's excellencies, as they appeared to him, and insists that he should not be judged by criteria of taste of which he could have known nothing, such as the unity of time idea. He is not really accusing Shakespeare of breaking the rules. You can find the source here,

    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16275/16275-h/16275-h.htm

    He says,

    "So The Winter's Tale, which is taken from an old Book, call'd, The Delectable History of Dorastus and Faunia, contains the space of sixteen or seventeen Years, and the Scene is sometimes laid in Bohemia, and sometimes in Sicily, according to the original Order of the Story."

    The "old book" is better known as Greene's Pandosto. (Rowe is interesting, but not a reliable scholar. Actually Shaespeare swaps the countries round. In the original the Leontes character is King of Bohemia and the Polixenes character King of Sicilia.)

    I mention this because I think it's important not to take too simple a view of the critical history of The Winter's Tale. It may have been dismissed in the 17th century because the congested imagery in the language of the first 3 acts made it too hard to read. (The language of late Shakespeare.) In the 18th century it was neglected on stage. But Hazlitt, writing at the beginning of the 19th century, praises it without even attempting to answer complaints about the story being unrealistic. And in the 20th century it has always been a popular play.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikaela, there is a contributor named Martin on that goodreads blog who I'm sure would love to talk to you about The Winter's Tale. His responses in that discussion are pretty informative and I've had some good messages with him. I think you just message him through goodreads.

    Also! I found this great ebook on different performances of The Winter's Tale and reactions to them that will probably address time in the play, if you want to check it out: http://books.google.com/books?id=iXzMxqZ-OY8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=tatspaugh+the+winter's+tale&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YYlZUaKVBuSdiQK_yYGoBA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA

    The book is called "The Winter's Tale: Shakespeare at Stratford Series," by Tatspaugh. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your #4 sounds intruiging. The Winter's Tale does have a lot of music in it. have you considered thinking about the Winter's Tale as a musical? how would Time play into that?

    ReplyDelete