Monday, March 18, 2013

Hold the Applause: Possible Audiences

While it's not hard to find good writing about video games, really, it's very difficult to find good conversations on video games because someone will say something intelligent, one intelligent person might respond, and then everyone else will post comments that generally look like this:

ArE u %^#ing crazy?!!?!?!!?? I totally played [insert 90s game title here] my HOLE LIFE and THERE4 I no EVERY-%^#$-ING-THING!!!! I KNOW ALL THE THINGS!!!
This is most people who comment on video game articles

That being said, there do exist actual scholarly venues for video game studies, including Eludamos, a peer-reviewed "journal for computer game culture" and Game Studies, "the international journal of computer game research." I'm not entirely sure how likely I could get published by either of these venues because they do seem to be rather scholarly, but Game Studies publishes multiple times a year online, so that might be a more viable option.

Coming from the Shakespeare side, I tried looking at blogs like Transmedial Shakespeare to see if they allowed guest posts, but I haven't found anything yet. However, I could just post something on Reddit in either /r/Shakespeare or /r/Games to get exposure--but that might be better to get ideas than to publish a final product.

1 comment:

  1. I'm shocked that I didn't think of reddit for Shakespeare discussions! There are a surprising number of smart and engaged people on that site, and I totally forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder!

    And I would definitely recommend the online journal. That seems like it would be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete