Thursday, March 28, 2013

back to the basics - again. PRIMARY TEXT

Another couple of quotes that will be useful in some of my arguments.
1. Why people dispute teaching Shakespeare:

2.2.115-116 Lysander
The will of man is by his reason swayed, 
And reason says you are the worthier maid. 
According to the version I am reading, edited by Jonathan Bate and Eric Rasmussen, in this case "Will" refers to "Inclination (plays on sense of “sexual desire/penis”)" (p 30). This play (and most of Shakespeare's work) has too many sexual references and it's not appropriate for young people.

2. A quote to combat that:
5.1.415-430 Puck
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

3. A way MND is interesting to HS kids - the conflict between illusion and reality (very appealing, according to an article from TeacherVision): 
5.1.222-228 SNUG (lion)

You, ladies, you, whose gentle hearts do fear
The smallest monstrous mouse that creeps on floor,
May now perchance both quake and tremble here,
When lion rough in wildest rage doth roar.
Then know that I, one Snug the joiner, am
A lion-fell, nor else no lion's dam;
For, if I should as lion come in strife
Into this place, 'twere pity on my life.

6 comments:

  1. Leah, have you ever seen the movie Dead Poet's Society? One of the guys in the movie performs that speech by Puck ("If we but shadows have offended"). It's pretty great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82eXbI2TPU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I loved that movie! Thank you, I will incorporate this clip into my project. You are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about your project, but I think what you're undertaking is pretty noble. Shakespeare deserves to be taught in high schools. He speaks to everyone. We just have to find a way to adapt him to different audiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the point about the conflict between illusion and reality is pertinent, because I remember wondering about that when I was in high school. I think MND might actually be MORE appropriate than R&J because it takes a more comical and candid approach to love and relationships, whereas R&J might only encourage young, hormonal students to pursue their romantic fantasies (true story--don't ask for details).

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. I won't ask. :) And I'm glad you agree about MND being more appropriate for high school students.

    ReplyDelete