Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Digest the Info: Finding my Thesis


This is where I am in brainstorming about a thesis:
The colored web makes me feel more hopeful that there is a thesis soon to come.  I think the ideas, although separated by different colors, could come together in some way, like "Is Hermione really dead?" relating to "Ekphrastic element of Shakespeare's work."  

Is there a particular branch of the thought tree that interests you?

After looking at this chart, here's my potential thesis, which I feel kind of wraps those ideas together into one:

Unlike tragedies, the romantic and ekphrastic elements of Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale unexpectedly lend a trueness-of-life to the play, suggesting that (the so what is still unclear: suggesting that tragic figures in other Shakespeare plays are misled to believe life is also tragic and, in believing so, make life a tragedy?). 

I'm going to post a version of this thesis, depending on what we talk about in class tomorrow, on the "Shakespeare Fan" group page of goodreads.  I've read through some of the people's posts on there and it seems like they have some pretty good discussions. 

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I like the question sequence of "Is Hermione really dead? Does it matter?" Basically taking what could be a possible debate point and fashioning your own argument out of the existence of the debate. I think that's pretty cool--but I don't know enough about your research to tell you whether that's the strongest path you could follow with the information you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What program are you using for the mind-mapping? Nice. I wonder if you started to get some other items mapped visually (characters, scenes, key quotes) if it would help your thinking and also provide an easier way to engage others in social proof.

    ReplyDelete