Monday, March 4, 2013

Too Many Possibilities!


After reviewing my Digital Dialog posts I’ve come up with three options for my final paper. There are advantages and disadvantages to each one, so if anyone is out there, please help!

Love’s Labour’s Lost – I want to analyze the conversation to show either of two things: there is a difference between understanding the words of the conversation and understanding the meaning of a conversation or how those who are witty are not always wise.
Henry V - Many people consider Henry V to be manipulative and overbearing. However, by analyzing his conversation with Katharine, one notices that Henry is in fact not as controlling as some claim him to be. Henry’s complex rhetorical power is not based on manipulative plans but genuine feelings and speeches adapted to be the most effective for his various audiences.
A Winter’s Tale -  Leontes unconscious obsession with all conversation maintaining adherence to the Gricean Maxims can be directly linked to his belief of Hermoine’s unfaithfulness.

Any feedback will help! I just need to get a feel for what everyone thinks. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I'm most intrigued by your Winter's Tale idea because it sounds really interesting and isn't evident right away. I'd love to hear more about it.

    I like the idea of the difference between wit and wisdom in Love's Labour's Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second idea--the one about Henry V--the best. I love to see how artists accomplish what they do, and this kind of rhetorical analysis could be fascinating.

    I'm not sure, however, that you could use that topic for a large paper. Perhaps expand it a bit--maybe talk about his use of rhetoric throughout the play. For example, what are the differences in the way he talks between the St. Crispin's Day speech, and his speeches with Catherine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GWAH this is David again. I swear I'll get this one of these days...

      Delete