Sunday, March 17, 2013

Progress

Hello friends.

I just wanted to update you on what I've been doing.

People I've contacted:

  • Mackenzie Larsen
    • played Henry in the Henry V production we saw


  • I went on to ask more questions:
This Review gives it a thumbs up. I personally don't fully agree with it.
http://utahtheatrebloggers.com/14699/henry-v-at-byu-stays-faithful-to-shakespeare 

I am waiting for a response: 
  • Megan Sanborn Jones
    • directed same show.
  • Kisten Leinbach
    • actor in the show:

Loosely, my paper is on the effectiveness of child targeted Shakespeare productions. Should I stick to Henry V? Or broaden it to history plays? Idk. Obviously, I've been terrible with bringing in ANYTHING from the primary text. I want to wait to formulate a rigid thesis after I ask what there goals were or their productions. I want to see if these shows were a success or a flop first. 

I think it would be interesting to track down some teachers at the schools they went to and ask them what their kids thought of it/ if they learned anything from it. Of course the actors and production team are going to defend their work.. so I need an even audience/argument.


After Asking my homie and roommate Merridee "So, do you think that Child Targeted Shakespeare plays are successful?: 

"No. Kids don't really pay attention. Kids don't really know much about Shakespeare to begin with so it makes it harder.  I saw Richard III when I was 12. I had no idea what was going on. The language didn't make sense. I didnt know the plot to begin with. I was super confused. All I remember is that he was a 'disfigured man'."  (This was at the Ashland Shakespeare festival in Oregon.)

There you go. I feel like there's a good argument here.

I think the next thing I need to figure out is this:
"If I were to put on a production of Henry V targeted toward a child audience...":

  • What specific themes would I want them to understand?
  • What scenes in particular would I feel important that they understood? 
    • St. Crispian's Day 
    • Execution of Gray, Cambridge, Scroop
    • Execution of Bardoff
  • How would I accomplish these things?


That's all for now. 


1 comment:

  1. Whether or not a child relates to a performance of any kind depends on a lot of factors, such as how much attention they're paying and whether or not they can relate. I think you should spread out if possible, but I think you could at least use the BYU Henry V as a case study for your paper.

    ReplyDelete