Friday, March 15, 2013

Fangirl Update.

Can I just say how excited I am to do this paper? Never in a million years did I think I'd be writing about reality TV and Shakespeare, but here I am, browsing through twitter pages, trying to find something that will work. Maybe it would help if I picked a legitimate thesis rather than just an idea. 

Do you think I can get him to come to my house to interview him?

I've been bouncing two different ideas around in my head all week, and I've still yet to finalize which will be the focus of my paper. The couple people I've shared the ideas with haven't been much help, but Professor Burton was able to help me at least cut it down to two:


1. The suspension of disbelief in both Shakespeare and Reality TV.  For Shakespeare he tends to break the fourth wall, frame plays in outside stories, etc. to remind the audience that they're watching the play. Reality TV likes to remind its viewers that they're watching "real" events and emotions. Shakespeare's process makes the plays seem more real, while Reality TV saying "this is real" makes it seem fake. How would Reality TV maybe showing sets/camera people/behind the scenes maybe change the way we view it?
2. Reality TV relies a lot on the use of Stock characters. Maybe something to prove that Reality TV has it's roots in comedia dell'arte, but I'd need to find significance in making this claim.

What do you guys think? Personally, I'm leaning more towards the suspension of disbelief on because this idea is intriguing.

4 comments:

  1. I would have to see a more developed 2nd idea, but I agree with you on the first. I think it would be an interesting analysis to question how "the suspension of belief" changes or alters our perception of the performance (whether it be reality TV or a play). I wonder how much of reality TV is staged to give the appearance of "good drama."

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. It would be pretty cool if you could interview him!!!

    ReplyDelete