Thursday, March 7, 2013

Being Symbolically Blind in Shakespeare

This post might run a little long because a lot has happened in the development of my paper. The story, starting from two days ago:

First, I started pursuing the lead that David recommended to me: disability studies. In my last post, I mentioned that approach only because . . . well, I had heard of it, and it seemed like it could be applicable to Gloucester losing his eyes in King Lear and the subsequent cliffs of Dover scene with Edgar. I decided to look into blindness in literature from the perspective of the blind, and I got an intellectual punch in the gut.

This speech challenged entirely the way I view the symbolism of blindness in literature. In it, Kenneth Jernigan discusses—and, frankly, excoriates—the stereotypical ways blindness is treated in literature. Here in Jernigan tearing down blindness as a symbol of other blessings gained:
 CC License by M needs a docctor
The sickest of all the romantic illusions is the pious opinion that blindness is only a blessing in disguise. In "The Blind Girl of Wittenberg", by John G. Morris, a young man says to the heroine: "God has deprived you of sight but only that your heart might be illuminated with more brilliant light." Every blind girl I know would have slapped his face for such insulting drivel; but the reply of this fictional female is worse than the original remark: "Do you not think, sir," she says, "that we blind people have a world within us which is perhaps more beautiful than yours, and that we have a light within us which shines more brilliantly than your sun?"
Jernigan is also critical of the way Gloucester is portrayed in King Lear, saying that Shakespeare "makes the blinded Gloucester in 'King Lear' so thoroughly confused and helpless that he can be persuaded of anything and deceived by any trick." And at this point, even though I had been attentively and sympathetically reading the rest of the article, I revolted.

I love the cliffs of Dover scene in King Lear, and though I think there may be some dark humor in it, I hardly see it as mocking Gloucester in his blindness. Though this idea is still tentative, I think Edgar is instead trying to construct a new life for his father, who is filled with grief at the violence he has undergone. In other words, we shouldn't read this scene as literal comedy but as symbolic, renewing drama, culminating in Edgar's line "Thy life's a miracle" (Lear IV.xi).

I will be writing further posts about blindness in disability studies, but I figure this post is a good start for explaining my paper.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this post--like you said, even your short summary shakes up some long-held ideas of mine.

    Just a thought; you may want to run this paper by someone with a disability, to see if you're handling it well. I don't know anyone who's blind, but a stop by the disability center might be helpful (unless they can't give out names for legal reasons or something).

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, that's a great idea! I actually have a few people with a disability that I was going to talk to, but stopping by the disability center would be super helpful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post for showing process and your sharpening ideas. It's nice to hear you get animated about the topic, and responding to a strong opinion with your own is a great way to launch a paper. At the end of the post you look very close to having a thesis.

    You might want to look at what others have said about Shakespeare and disability (see Catherine's post from last semester: http://teamshakespeare.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-story-of-catherines-research-paper.html).

    Also, be careful to limit what kinds of disability you are talking about. There may be similarities, but there are substantial differences among the various kinds. Blindness, autism, deafness, emotional disorders -- it's a broad range that shouldn't be conflated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard similar statements about deafness: they are proud of who they are, and they shun anyone who gets hearing implants. But it's still kind of hard to get my head around why they would take that attitude. Is Jernigan saying that Glouchester hasn't learned anything? That it doesn't matter that he's been blinded and learned the truth about Edmund's cruelty? That they don't want to be told that there is a higher purpose for their disabilities and that their disability makes them unique? It seems paradoxical: they want respect for who they are, but they don't want to be treated any differently than the rest of us. Something to look into.

    I also have more I would like to say to you, but it's kind of sensitive and so I'm sending you an email.

    ReplyDelete