Friday, March 15, 2013

Annotated Bib draft....




Thesis: Child directed performances are successful in teaching the complexities/themes/something else.. of a story like Hamlet. Through "insert strategies here". 
I missed Monday class... are we supposed to turn it in via Blogger?


1.     Social Graph
·      Homies
o   Nicole Black; English major/ Editing Minor
§  She’s my roommate and will listen to me no matter what. She’s familiar with Shakespeare and isn’t afraid to tell me when something sounds fishy in my writing.
o   Cassi Williams; English Teaching major
§  Same as Nicole.
o   Chelsea Herring; best friend and Elementary Ed major.
§  She is in an El Ed theatre class right now and it may be helpful to ask how she thinks directing things to kids can work as a teaching method.
o   Shane Peterson; Classmate and smarty pants
§  He’s been in several classes with me and works in the writing center.
o   Allyson Thaxton; Home wardie and BYU Theatre arts make-up major.
§  Sees up front how Theatre can shape lives.
·      Peers
o   Leah Anderson; wardie and English Teaching Major
§  Our topics are similar… I’m almost afraid of that. I didn’t realize how realized they are. BUT, let’s not focus on the negative and worry about how we can help each other!
·      Enthusiast
o   Homeschool Forums
§  I hope to see how theater has influenced a young audience/ how it can be a tool to engage students not necessarily in a classroom setting.

o   BYU Theatre company/ Other Children's theatre companies
§  I would love to talk to the cast of the Henry Vth production
o   Melanie Wetherell; my 10th grade English Teacher
§  She’s the best. And she’s retired now so I’m sure she’d be willing to let me bounce some ideas off of her. I remember the year that we read Macbeth, our school’s theatre company was putting it on and it was a very useful tool.

·      Expert
o   Theatre/ Elementary school educators/ College level Theatre educators
o   Director of BYU Theater kids adaptations.
o   Director of a kids adaptation of Hamlet

    New Media
·      I have't explored this a ton, but many of my social networks, while not necessarily "new" to my use have been "new" in the sense that I didn't know that I cold use them for research before

  Social Networks
·      Twitter
o   Used in contacting voice actors of children’s television shows as well as  young Shakespeare companies.

·      Google Docs
o   Teaching Shakespeare to homeschoolers; Talks about how viewing really deepens the understanding of the text.

·      GoodReads
o   Joined a “Shakespeare Fans” group and started a thread
§  BOB:
§  Rap-Notes mp3s- Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet- here's the link: http://wdrv.it/UARMNr
§  “Students from 12 to 23 have told me they love the raps. More importantly, they tell me the songs have opened up them up to reading the glorious original plays.”
o   Movie adaptations of Hamlet       
·      Tumblr
o   Trying to track down Craig Barlett, creator of Hey Arnold.

·      Blogger
o   Flocabulary: Hip Hop in the Classroom
a.     “We believe that a motivated student is a more successful student. We work hard to make songs and curriculum that will get students excited.  The goal is to make learning fun and accessible without making it less rigorous. Students of all backgrounds deserve to be engaged."

Traditional Scholarly Articles (unfortunately, I havent dedicated the time into delving into this. Mainly because my direction wasn't clear before. UGH)
·      Teaching outside the class room
·      Theatre as a supplement for learning
Shakespeare for children...

4 comments:

  1. Kara, I like how in-depth you were with your social networks. It's been fun to see you on that same goodreads thread! This is where we're supposed to turn it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Nicole and Cassi!? I love Nicole and Cassie!!! I work/ed with them in the Cougareat. Those two are freaking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I just found this Twitter page. Maybe it will help?

      https://twitter.com/shakespeare4kid

      Delete
    2. yes indeed! I found their blog a few days ago, good to know they have a twitter. Yup --- Cassi and Nicole are my roommates and so was Sage before the mission call came.

      Delete