Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pulling It Together: A Brief, But More Relevant, Post

Last week, I wrote about contacting other scholars, and a few days ago, I wrote about the disappointment I was facing because no one wrote back to me. But that disappointed is lifted!

I got a reply from Julia Miele Rodas, who is currently teaching a Fictions of Disability class. And even though it might not have turned out how I originally expected, I was excited to receive a reply. I emailed Dr. Rodas to see if there were any people in her class who were focusing on blindness and might want to talk to me. This is the email I got back:

Nyssa--

Thanks for writing; I'm so glad to hear of your interest. Unfortunately, my students have not yet developed focused projects, so I don't know yet if anyone will be researching blindness specifically. And, since I'm a Victorianist, I'm not sure how much guidance I could give you when it comes to Shakespeare, but perhaps I can at least point you a little further down the road.

Attached are two pieces, one by myself and the other by Georgina Kleege, that might help jump start your thinking (hoping PDF format will be accessible). You might also want to consider taking a look at the "Disabled Shakespeares" section of this issue of DSQ (open access, link below).

http://dsq-sds.org/issue/view/42

Please touch base again to share thinking or questions--always interested . . .

Best,
Julia
 So now I have more reading material and someone I can email again with my ideas. I'm glad to have at least some success.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this was encouraging to you. She sounds open to further conversation. Have you checked these recommended sources yet?

    ReplyDelete