Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How Lizy Came Out Learning

My take on the learning outcomes of the course and how I have fulfilled them:

1. Gain Shakespeare Literacy

I took off running with this particular requirement. This semester in class I read samples of different genres of Shakespeare's plays, comedy (The Taming of the Shrew), romance (The Winter's Tale), history (Henry V), and tragedy (King Lear), and I have gained an understanding of the breadth of Shakespeare's works. On my own I read King John and Henry VIII (and all but completely reread Richard III), and through my research I gained knowledge of the other history plays, and I have also done some in-depth research on King Lear and Winter's Tale as pertaining to my term paper, so I have also gained depth in understanding certain Shakespeare topics and themes. This semester I have seen live performances of Henry V and The Winter's Tale, and I have seen film adaptations of Henry V, Taming, and King Lear, so I know how Shakespeare's plays have been adapted and envisioned across different mediums.

2. Analyze Critically

I have engaged with critical analyses about Shakespeare's plays and written a paper engaging with these and explaining my own ideas about certain texts, applying other scholars' literary theories to my own interpretations. I have learned how to do close textual analysis of the original text, examining word definitions and rhetorical devices for the meaning they add to the text. I have also examined the relationship between the plays and the historical/cultural contexts in which they were written.

3. Engage creatively

I have learned how to write a sonnet with proper iambic pentameter. I have analyzed performances for their creative twists on the original plays through costume, lighting, action, etc.

4. Share meaningfully

In two formal papers as well as numerous blog and digital dialouge posts I have shared my ideas about Shakespeare with my classmates and the internet. I also made a post related to my topic for my term paper on my personal blog, and I have posted my "tweethis" statements on facebook.

5. Gain Digital Literacy

I did learn to use blogs and social media (ie goodreads) as forums for sharing ideas and gaining insights from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment