Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reflecting on our learning outcomes....



1. Gain Shakespeare Literacy 
a. Breadth (knowledge of a range of Shakespeare's works); I believe I gained this by reading many a play this semester. Additionally, by reading and discussing research papers of other students, I was able to learn more about plays that I still haven't read.
b. Depth (more thorough knowledge of a single work); I definitely got my fill of Henry V this semester. I'm proud that I feel like I know the play fairly well. By reading it in class, seeing the play, the movie AND writing a research paper on it, I definitely got the most out of this work.
c. Performance (stage and screen); I learned that just doing one of these things isn't enough for me. To get the fully experience, I have to do multiples: watch AND see. This way it's solidified in both words and actions. When I watch I pay less attention to the words. When I read, I can't picture the scenes as well because I'm trying to decipher the words! Both is better.
d. Legacy (history, scholarship, popular culture); Through my social media efforts, I've realized that there are a lot of people out there outside of schools who still care a lot about Shakespeare. It's been eye opening to see online discussions and other student blogs trying to accomplish the sames things that we are.

2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically 
during this semester I've really learned how important it is to analyze the ACTUAL TEXT that is written on the page. As important as analyzing themes of a work is, it is the words that are spoken and written that really reinforce the themes we are theorizing.
3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively
The most creative way I participated in Shakespeare this semester was definitely through the sonnet project. It showed me that poetry isn't simply the overflow of emotion onto a page but some serious hard work and math to make syllables correct. And to make it creative/funny/meaningful on top of that? Craziness.

4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully 
Like I said before, there are a lot of people out there who care about Shakespeare. Not just no forums either-- but in our homes and workplaces. I found myself confiding in several coworkers who were definitely NOT English majors and bouncing research ideas off of them. It was very helpful for me and fun to banter about something other than what was on pinterest/buzzfeed that day.

5. Gain Digital Literacy 
I definitely resisted gaining digital literacy this semester, but I was sincerely humbled when I found it working for me. Yes, I found some use out of outlets like Goodreads, twitter, and Chrome. BUT, I realized that digital literacy also means taking advantage of the things you are already familiar with. Like email. My greatest successes came from messaging people on Facebook and emailing people directly. It's not so much going out of your way to find way awesome/new/innovative social media sites...  it's about having the bravery to reach out to people you don't know and sharing your ideas! I'm so glad I did.

5 comments:

  1. Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who resisted the digital literacy to a degree. you mentioned the sonnet as your way of engaging creatively with Shakespeare - that's going to be my example as well when I post. I'm wondering if basically everyone is going to end up citing the sonnet as engaging Shakespeare creatively?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. I definitely resisted the digital "literacy." Thanks for these comments, Kara and Mikaela, they are helping me analyze my digital progress, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my second class with Dr. Burton, and I've only gotten slightly better at the digital portion of the class. :P
    Thanks for posting so early, Kara. Definitely used this as a model for my own post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyssa, this is my second class as well, and I'm the same way.

      Delete
  4. I like that you really enjoyed using e-mail because I feel like that's a type of social media or learning that we use all the time but maybe isn't appreciated as much.

    ReplyDelete