Friday, April 19, 2013

My Paper: A Story

Okay, I'll admit it. What first blossomed as an idea about love quickly became a means of justifying a guilty pleasure of mine: The Bachelor. I was stuck in what I wanted to write about, feeling that most ideas surrounding Shakespearian plays had already been discussed. I already had traditional papers to write for other classes and I really didn't want to spit out another paper that I wasn't connected to. Professor Burton kept urging us to do just that: find a subject that we're really interested in that can relate to Shakespeare because if we develop a passion for our topic, we're more likely to write a better paper. 


But how do you tie something that has such a negative connotation to arguably the greatest writer of all time? With a really positive reaction from Professor Burton as well as a good friend of mine who also studies English, I jumped in head first and began tossing around thesis ideas. The hardest part of a paper, for me at least, is creating an ingenious thesis. It took me up until my last meeting with Professor Burton to really solidify my thesis, but I did manage to begin my research with this one:

I argue that reality TV is a derivative of Shakespearean theater (with maybe a little less class), even finding its roots in early theatrical aspects such as commedia dell’Arte, or the use of stock characters. By focusing on the artistic, albeit ridiculous, aspects of reality TV such as editing to form a plot and the creation and dramatization of stock characters, we can shed reality TV in a new light, taking away from some of the superficiality that we can't seem to shake in reality TV.

It wasn't bad, but it was just enough to point me in the direction I needed to go. Gathering research also started out shaky, and Professor Burton did't seem to pleased with the results. I believe this was because he knew the potential my paper had, and he knew that if I didn't step up my game I would ultimately fail. It was a hefty claim to make, suggesting that reality TV had any connection to Shakespeare, and I did receive a lot of negative feedback as well. My roommate, who scoffs at reality TV to begin with almost laughed in my face at the idea of the connection (she's an English major as well). It shook my confidence at first. Could I really do this effectively, without sounding like a complete doofus?

As I began researching the genre of reality television further, I discovered the process behind the shows, and began to find great interest in the production process. My eyes were opened to a side of reality TV that I never knew or bothered to research, and because of this, I grew an admiration and even respect of those in the business. I began defending reality TV every chance I got, wanting to share with others the information I had learned. It was a beautiful new passion awakened within me that drove me to write the paper I did. I wanted to show the world that reality TV isn't just a waste of time. Like every form of entertainment there's good and there's bad, but because we focused so much on the bad, we completely missed not only the good, but the opportunity to see reality TV as a budding form of art (Yeah, I totes just said that). 

Now I'm not ashamed of my attraction to reality TV. Actually, I toute it, suggestion that everyone give it a chance. We get so hung up on the artificiality of reality TV as a set back, that we have completely missed it as an asset (which it is). I enjoy the story now, and although I laugh at the superficiality that naturally comes from putting regular people infront of a camera, I support the growth of the genre shamelessly. 

I honestly believe that my passion in proving my point is what lead to my success with my submission. I want to get out and share my ideas with the world, because I firmly believe it's a point that not a lot of people have considered, but once they do, it changes their perspective. My roommate, who originally hated any idea of reality TV, admitted a change of heart towards the genre after reading my paper. SHe said my passion helped me execute my point well enough that she couldn't refute the idea presented to her. 

I know that a large part of my passion developed from the support I received from Professor Burton. There's nothing like a Professor's enthusiasm to make you want to do better, and to prove to them that you can meet that potential. It was a rocky road to the end, but I am grateful for his help, and I am proud of my final product


No comments:

Post a Comment