Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Life Will Find a Way!" The Journey of my Paper.

Can you tell I have Jurassic Park on the mind?

Anyway, my paper did find it's way into the world. It was a difficult birthing process, but all of the changes were necessary. First, I started off much too broadly. I resented going back to the primary text and decided I would just try to do something cool. While an interesting topic,  it lacked real depth, and no-one would talk to me! I felt lost... but:

After I came back to Earth, I realized I would write about something that I already had a pretty strong opinion (or so I thought): The BYU Young company's production of Henry V.  Since choosing that topic, I've found many people willing to talk to me about Child targeted performances. I noticed that if you talk to people are are more accessible it will be more interesting for them AND YOU! They realize people care about what they do and you realize they care about what you're writing about them. Pretty neat! I definitely gained an appreciation for reaching out to people when I had before resented it.

Social networks in some ways weren't very successful for me. I spend a lot of time on twitter trying to get people to talk to me with no such luck. Goodread's "Shakespeare Fans Group" wasn't too talkative on my thread sadly. But I did talk to a one Bob Zazlow in an existing thread who added a little bit of depth to my language accessibility section of my paper. I think social networks can be tough: it's a hit or a miss. My theory is that a lot of people haven't figured out that you can be educational in an online social setting yet. I mean, I just realized it this semester, so I don't blame the masses. I think over time, with our help, this can change.

I was incredibly proud of the direction of my rough draft, but after a little praise and a few pointers, I realized there were some holes that I needed to fill, which I think I successfully did in my final draft. This paper taught me to take advantage of the resources that are all around us an implement them into making better writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment