Friday, April 19, 2013

Gather round, it's story time!

Well... I have somewhat of an obsession with time which anyone who is close to me can tell you. So, I wrote my midterm paper around that theme and Dr. Burton told me when he read it that he felt it needed to be more than just a four page paper. So, while my final product was nothing like my midterm paper, it was the starting point for my research paper about time.

Time, however, is quite a broad category. Everything relates to it on some level or other, and so I found that I had a relatively broad thesis that could incorporate many different topics. On a research level, I loved this. I got to explore time's affect on memory, the seasons, music, Shakespeare as a business man... really anything I found interesting was fair game.

In actually writing the paper, however, this proved detrimental. I made sure everything related back to my thesis of course, but my paper was still kind of all over the place. In the end I had to make a last minute change to my thesis (which meant making a ton of changes to my paper) to make it more cohesive. This paper is still in the works to a degree, I've finished it but I'm still waiting to hear back about feedback and I may or may not need to revise it a little more tomorrow...

What I'd change in the future: It's ok to do some initial preliminary research before configuring a thesis, but it would've been a lot less effort to conjure a narrow, specific thesis before I did so much research. By the end of everything I probably wrote enough to make at least 3 10 page research papers, most of which I'm not even using.

1 comment:

  1. Wow good job on finding so much to write about! And good job on narrowing it down. :)

    ReplyDelete