Friday, April 5, 2013

Lauren: A Few Words for You

(This is just a re-hash of some of the stuff I talked about in class).

As far as editing others' papers are concerned, my strengths are in the nitpicky stuff and my weaknesses are in overall structure. This being a rough draft, I won't get into the bits and bites of grammar because you should know what needs improvement. Your paper looks pretty good as far as I can tell. As I said before, I find Carl Jung's idea's intriguing and I like how you are applying them to this case. Being less familiar with Othello I don't know how well this fits with the original text, but I do know Iago by reputation. This also being an incomplete draft, I also feel ill-equipped to discuss your paper as a whole. From what I see, I like how you are using your primary text but I feel like either your quotations or your explanations of the quotes are insufficient. Example:
At one point in speaking to Roderigo he states, “Were I the Moor, I would not be Iago. / In following him I follow but myself” (I.i.57-59).  This exemplifies the twisted nature of his character reflected in the cunning twists of his language. 
 How specifically is his language cunningly twisted? I feel like I don't see all the connections between point A and point B as clearly as I would like. So far, good job. Keep it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment