Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Submitting, A Story

I have successfully submitted my paper to the Scholar's Archive at BYU (after checking over it once again to make sure I haven't accidentally mis-cited things), as instructed!

I have also submitted my paper to BYU's Criterion.  While discussing my paper with Dr. Burton, he mentioned that my paper is less of an academic one, so a blogging atmosphere might be more appropriate for it.  I did want to try to submit it to a journal, so I felt this would be a more willing one, but if it isn't accepted to the Criterion, I'm going to shorten it, change it into a blog post style, and submit it to the blog No Sweat Shakespeare for publication, as I've already talked to Ed Goldswain about the possibility of publishing  on the blog.


For my e-mail to the Criterion, I shortened the abstract I'd put up on our very own blog.  This is what I said:

   The romantic elements of mixing genres and the influence of the supernatural evident within Shakespeare's play, "The Winter's Tale," have led to, on the whole, rejection of the play by critics.  The oracle who interacts with Leontes, the tragic hero of the play, thus takes on a role as metaphor for this rejection, as Leontes rejects the oracle's words for the same reason critics have rejected the play: an inability to recognize that the romantic elements of the play are in fact what makes it realistic, a belief that is essential to understanding and appreciating the play's message.  What is required to overcome a skepticism of the truth of the play is a willingness to, as Paulina explains, "awake [one's] faith" (The Winter's Tale V.iii.95).

I hope submissions for everyone are going well!  I'm excited to continue hearing about where you guys are submitting your papers!

2 comments:

  1. hey Rachel! sounds like you and I are going down similar roads - my paper isn't really academic either and I was thinking of publishing to the No Sweat Shakespeare blog as well haha good luck! and hopefully the blog doesn't min getting two submissions at once about the same play...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went with the blog option. That really seems to suit your paper better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete