Saturday, April 13, 2013

Paper Submitted

Well, I finally did it. I finally submitted my paper to the BYU Scholar's Archive and to the Journal of Literary and Cultural Disability Studies.

That latter submission took a lot of mental effort. I composed the email, proofread it, made sure I followed their submissions guidelines, stared at the email, checked Facebook, still stared at the email, stared off into space, and finally hit the send button. I was a little nervous about having someone outside of class actually read my paper, but I have my fingers crossed that there will be some good results from this.

Well, there's already been one: I submitted to a real-life academic journal! And I wound up feeling pretty good about it.

EDIT: Here is the cover letter I used to submit my paper. It is a bit utilitarian, I admit, but based on their submissions guidelines, it seemed to be what they were expecting. I included the abstract as part of the document I attached to the email, also per submissions guidelines.


Dr. David Bolt: 
Please find attached my submission for the Journal of Literary and Cultural Disability Studies, "'I'd Say I Had Eyes Again': Redeeming Shakespeare's Gloucester for the Blind." This is an original article; it has not been previously published, nor is it under consideration for publication elsewhere. 
Biographical Note:Nyssa Silvester graduated from Brigham Young University in 2013 with her BA in English, along with minors in editing and women's studies. Her academic interests include feminist theory, history of the book, and disability studies. She lives in Provo, Utah, where she edits fiction in her spare time. 
Thank
 you for your consideration
,
Nyssa Silvester

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! If yr finalpaper'sanything Ike the draft I saw, you'll do fine. You're a very strong writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! It does take a bit of courage to hit that send button. Would you mind updating this post to include your cover email for your submission to the journal? This would be helpful for future students to see (if it's okay with you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'll put it up. It's not anything particularly stellar. I mostly just addressed the requirements in their submissions guidelines.

      Delete