Tuesday, April 9, 2013

From the Writing Front

After receiving some helpful feedback from David and Rachel (Thanks so much to both of you!) I was able to identify some of major issues with my paper"
1. I hadn't clearly defined what I meant when I was talking about constraint and liberation, and as a result my paper wasn't as focused as I wanted it to be.
2. The "so what" is somewhat lacking, and more or less an afterthought than a driving aspect to my paper.
3. The writing needs to be cleaned up.

Last night, I went through and fixed (or at least tried to) point number one. I finally sat down and actually wrote my introduction, not actually changing my thesis per se, but clarifying what my thesis meant. With this new focus I had to go through my paper and identify which arguments coincided with my interpretations of "liberation" and constraint, which naturally led me to cut out a couple arguments that didn't really fit anymore. It shortened my paper which is something I needed to do, but I'll admit my heart bled as I was doing it, thinking of the time I had spent researching/writing...

Points 2 and 3 are yet to be resolved though I'm planning on heading to the writing center today, and hopefully that'll help on point 3.
One post/ step in the process I need to return to is publication venues. I have some ideas, sure, but I feel like I've only done a surface glance at the places I'm considering for publication. I need to spend some time and do a little bit of deeper digging/ be ready to send in some abstracts.

No comments:

Post a Comment