Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The World According to Erin

My name is Erin Ritchie. It used to be Erin Matheson, but a few weeks ago, I decided to change it on account of this handsome fellow named Nick. Handsome Nick is now my husband. He is an excellent roommate who makes me pretend margaritas while I pretend to do my homework.

Portland, Oregon is my home; I will brag about living 10 miles away from Powell's, the biggest bookstore in the world, any chance that I get. The city's influence on me extends far beyond my love of brunch and on-and-off vegetarianism. I believe in wearing overalls. Polka dots are my jam. Jessica Day is my hero.

I began reading Shakespeare's unabridged plays in 3rd grade after reading all of the Wishbone adapted series (Hamlet suddenly becomes more interesting when the lead is played by a terrier). Dramatizing his works quickly became one of my favorite things to do. I won my high school Shakespeare performance competition with a 10 minute Romeo and Juliet one-woman abridgment. Because I had no life in high school and felt the need to overachieve in my I.B. English classes, I adapted and filmed King Lear with a modern corporate takeover twist. Following the success of Lear turned CEO, I created a short film, Hipster Hamlet Goes to College. Breathing life into Shakespeare's words brings me a manic joy akin to murdering a king in order to take the throne at the urging of one's loony spouse.


2 comments:

  1. Any chance we get to watch those videos in class? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we can rep the PNW together at BYU ;) I'd also like to see those videos...

    ReplyDelete