Thursday, September 10, 2015

Shakespeare for Everyone


I read Midsummer's Night's Dream and what struck me was how funny it was! The lovers fighting, Bottom's unknowing puns about himself, the commentary made about the play... all these situations are hilarious. What's more, they were written hundreds of years ago but even if one knew nothing about the time period or the culture of the time it would still make sense and be funny. We often like to put a barrier between Shakespeare and ourselves. I read an article by Kurt Lancaster about a Neil Gaiman comic book series where Gaiman mixes a fictional performance of Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare and his acting troupe in front of some of the fairies from the play with commentary about contemporary life. The article states this comic book as an example of Shakespeare being invited back into popular culture and claims that in the 1900s society locked Shakespeare in a glass case as something only for the high brows. He was to be admired, but coolly, and with discipline. This prevented his works from having as deep an effect on people's day to day lives because they were only viewed as art, and not valued for the lessons and enjoyment that they offered. The article claims that it as we allow Shakespeare's work to be enjoyed and be considered relevant instead of just reverenced that its true value will be seen. Reading Midsummer Night's Dream made me realize that Shakespeare did not just write for the nobles in the balcony, but for the people standing in the yard. Even hundreds of years later, there is something for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I agree!! I just finished earlier too and I really enjoyed it! It's been so long since I last read it, high school at least, and I either forgot how good it was or missed it entirely the other times I read it! way funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it as well!! I think this one really makes us step out from the idea that Shakespeare only wrote history related stuff on kings and such. It is nice to see him break out of that and do something that feels even more like it is for entertainment. I am definitely looking forward to watching the production of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I feel that Shakespeare has always been pervasive in pop culture, but the idea that Shakespeare has been credited proudly for his stories, however they are adapted, is intriguing. Maybe we have Kenneth Branaugh to thank for that, although I hate to inflate his ego any more than it already is.

    Also, that Neil Gaiman comic is amazing. I highly suggest checking it out. I think it's in Sandman vol. 3.

    ReplyDelete