Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Confessions of a Cheese Addict

At first I was stuck finding a worthy topic to venerate. In preparation, I read some of Professor Burton's sonnets under the "humorous" category. Doing so helped me realize I didn't have to write some lofty ode to the lovely Wasatch mountains or to my snazzy husband... I could write it about something just as glorious but more mundane.



The grilled cheese is a gift from gods on high,
A monument to cold days, long and rainy.
I curl up, watch the rain droplets pass by
And munch on mozzarella burnt yet creamy.

Best friends with soup, the grilled cheese likes to swim—
Lentil, chicken noodle, or potato.
With beans and broccoli my bowl does brim,
But I like grilled cheese most dipped in tomato.

Though perfect in a chilly thunderstorm
Or as the end to worn out sleepy days,
This sandwich is not fit for summers warm
I much prefer a juicy fruit buffet.

While strawberries are sweet and mangoes tart,

Grilled cheese will always stay close to my heart.


I like my sonnet because I like grilled cheese. Though the sonnet itself is not perfect, the subject material is, so that kind of irons out any wrinkles that exist. As Nephi says, overlook my writing's faults without judging the subject of my writing. (Okay, if I must admit, I felt I was forcing the volta.)

4 comments:

  1. I really like your sonnet! Great subject choice, because I really enjoy cheese as well. There are a few lines that have too many syllables, so I would just go through and switch those around. I'm not the best at noticing iambic pentameter though, sorry. I think in your third set of couplets you should talk more about cheese. Those lines just don't feel as cheese centered as they could be. Overall though I think it's great. Go cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your sonnet! Great subject choice, because I really enjoy cheese as well. There are a few lines that have too many syllables, so I would just go through and switch those around. I'm not the best at noticing iambic pentameter though, sorry. I think in your third set of couplets you should talk more about cheese. Those lines just don't feel as cheese centered as they could be. Overall though I think it's great. Go cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a grilled cheese sandwich now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This title definitely caught my attention, and I was not disappointed! It's so funny and cute! I think all of us can side with you on grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete