Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Feminism in A Midsummer Night's Dream

"Use me but as your spaniel—spurn me, strike me"
"I would consider it an honor to be your dog."
                                                         -Helena

I was interested in our discussion on feminism during class. I have written a few papers through feminist lenses, and I have read even more articles from a feminist perspective. Sometimes I am not swayed by a feminist argument, because it often feels like the author meticulously searches through a text and pulls for anything that could be slightly misogynistic or sexist. As we discussed in class, it is easy to see how feminist A Midsummer Night's Dream can appear, however, all the other characters are portrayed in an equally ridiculous and ludicrous; you can't feel too awful about the women (or at least  I didn't while reading the play). I decided to read a few articles about it. This was the most interesting article I found. I appreciate her interpretation of Shakespeare’s work because she doesn't focus on Shakespeare's intent in writing the play, instead she analyzes the feminist approach taken by the Hollywood directors who interpreted and remade the play. I thought that Courtney Lehmann's most interesting commentary was about the portrayal of Hermia and Titania. She writes, “Hermia would be transformed from a girl caught up in Lysander’s passion to a woman willing to risk her life to defy an oppressive Athenian law.” Of Titania she writes, “Titania’s rejections of Oberon would resonate as a powerful combination of sisterly and maternal instincts.” Instead of portraying these women as strong and independent, many directors abuse the “smokescreen” of love that allows women to resume the role of property passed from man to man. Though I do not feel that Shakepeare was attempting to be sexist in his portrayal (at least in this play), it is easy to see how the women of A Midsummer Night's Dream perpetuate negative stereotypes—especially when written for and to an audience with many preconceived notions and ideas. 

4 comments:

  1. That is really interesting, and much more relevant that whether or not Shakespeare was specifically marginalizing women when none of the characters are supposed to demonstrate any depth.

    I can think of a couple of moments from adaptations that I see a director seizing to either empower or disenfranchise women. When Titania is released from the flower's effects, her reaction to Oberon is so interesting to see.

    Sometime, she is grateful and wholly forgiving. This always bothers me. I mean, if Titania is as intelligent as she seems, wouldn't she at least suspect that Oberon had a hand in her humiliation? Other times, she retains that glint of suspicion, but I would love to see an adaptation where Titania uses the scene to communicate that she understands it's her turn. I mean, Titania and Oberon are never going to stop their chess match. I would love to see that explored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rosemary's description of the chess match between Titania and Oberon, and I agree with your analysis overall! Directors definitely don't portray Shakespearean women as strongly as they could. (My pet peeve? An Ophelia who doesn't really seem like she loves Hamlet and therefore has no justification to go mad.) I think it could be said that yes, Shakespeare is sexist! Even if he was just pandering to his audiences by reinforcing the gender stereotypes of the day, that still means his work is sexist. I don't think that's a particularly huge revelation, though, because it's pretty obvious. That being said, he does write some pretty awesome lady characters (I'm a huge fan of all the King Lear ladies), but I really think that just like authors today, he was influenced by the time period he lived in to some degree. I'm not mad at Shakespeare, but I'm pretty unimpressed when directors don't add any depth to the female characters. It's like they spend all their energy coaching brilliant, nuanced performances from the men and then give the women a stock character role to fill... Grr. Anyway, cool post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Rosemary, I was bothered by how easily Titania goes back to Oberon at the end of the play. I don't see the portrayals of Hermia and Helena as particularly sexist because both they and Demetrius and Lysander are very vague characters to begin with, but I expect a little more of Titania as the Fairy Queen who has no problem spurning Oberon at the beginning of the play. You could see Oberon's flower trick as punishment for a disobedient wife, and then Titania going back to him at the end as her meek acceptance of the punishment. Like Erin said, it's hard to blame Shakespeare for being sexist considering the time period, but it still remains a little disturbing for modern audiences.

    ReplyDelete