Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Apollo: A crash course on why Leontes isn't the sharpest crayon in the box

As I've mentioned in class before, I'm taking an awesome mythology class this semester! One of the biggest benefits from it is that I notice more classical allusions and the influence of mythology on basically all of literature. So I was intrigued-- shocked, appalled-- at Leontes' reaction to the Oracle of Delphi's response to his accusations. In ancient Greece, it was common for nobles and peasants alike to bring their questions to Apollo's prophetess at Delphi, the Pythia. She would answer their questions, personal or communal, and those answers were received and acted upon with respect because she spoke for Apollo. It's similar to how we treat personal revelation in Mormonism-- whatever divine guidance we receive, we typically treasure and act accordingly. Understanding this allowed me to understand how irrational and out of line Leontes' response was when he disliked the Oracle's content. You don't just declare that divine advice is wrong (especially if you believe in Apollo and know of his wrathful nature)! It's not a Magic 8 ball that you can shake over and over again until you get the answer you want, even if you are royalty. Dismissing it as "mere falsehood" demonstrates Leontes' jealousy (WAY out of control, even if you're trying to sympathize with him...) and the sense of entitlement that comes with kingship (remember Richard and how he expected his subjects' adoration and support, regardless of his actions? It sounds like Leontes isn't used to hearing the word no, either).

However, Leontes quickly changes his tune and fears his blasphemy when his wife and son die. He begins to believe the oracle's contents once he attributes these deaths to Apollo's anger. This fear talks reason into his jealousy, but it's too late! Turns out that it's probably wiser to listen to divine advice, even if you're ruling with divine authority...

2 comments:

  1. I talked about the oracle in my post as well! I really liked reading your post because I was really curious about him when I read this passage. I can make sense of jealousy or rage, but I don't understand when someone decides to reject the prophesies of an oracle. From what I've read in Shakespeare and other works written around the same time and earlier, to go against an oracle's advice usually means death for one or more people. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about that when I read his reaction! In almost every ancient story where an oracle is consulted, what she says goes. Doesn't matter if you're the king, or otherwise. The oracle is all-knowing. I've been curious about this, especially because reading it with that in mind Leontes seems even more irrational and hotheaded than before.

    ReplyDelete