Thursday, September 24, 2015

September Trees, Take 2. Action


Okay, I revised quite a bit, trying to whip it more firmly into the iambic pentameter and also smooth out some of the rougher patches. I have to say, it's a lot more fun redrafting than creating for the first time. The first thing I did was go and rework several lines that I felt were less than effective. You'll notice the candlesticks are new, relax and that are the end rhymes of the last couplet and so on. Then I made sure to fix the iambic pentameter, like were I removed 'dead' from 'dead cover' because it was too accented. ST's still got a ways to go, but it learned its lines better this time so let's see now it performs. Someday it might be ready for the Globe, or at least an Off-Globe production, who knows?

Take #2

September trees are slightly different.
Their stems still shoot out leaves which raise
The green from grass into the firmament.
The summer’s planted hard, yet glazes
In yellow blades onto each far leaf-end.
These stay in place until the weather slips,
And slowly rolls a cover to each stem,
Than drop from off the waxless candlesticks.
I am a cultured new September tree,
Which soon must brace against the winter weight,
Without the safety of my canopy,
In hope its energy will hold me straight.
But trees do always easily submit
To change and I cannot, and envy that.

Take #1
September’s trees are slightly different,
Their stems still shoot out leaves, and lift
The green from grass into the firmament.
Summer is planted but is taught to shift
A gentle brown into each far leaf-end
To hedge the trees against the next autumn
And slowly roll dead covers to each stem,
Planning for when the trees are bare columns.
I am the same as a September tree
And soon must stand against the winter weight,
Without the safety of my canopy,
Planning its stored reserve will hold me straight.
But nature’s taught to trees, calmly submit
To change and I do not, and envy it.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think shift/candlesticks rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... Very good point! Thanks, I changed it but do have a question. Do you get away with having a 's' on one of your rhymes but not have the other plural? For example 'slick' and 'sticks?'

      Delete
    2. I think the combination of the "l" in slick and the "s" at the end of sticks make it seem less rhyming than it could be.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comments! I think rhyme and meter is killing me off too, but I just might have got it now. I changed slick to slicks.

      Delete
    4. That works so much better! Very smooth.

      Delete
  2. I kind of had a hard time reading your poem and it took me a little bit to figure out why. I found that in a lot of your lines you put words together whose sounds are hard to say together. For example, leaves which raise; each far leaf-end; and awakes which slicks. It kind of makes your poem unique and it is consistent throughout the poem so you could probably keep it, but then reading it out loud may be difficult which will make someone stop and check your iambic pentameter, so that I something to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete