Tuesday, September 22, 2015

OTP Sonnet

I looked closely at Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. I closely molded my sonnet based off of this one. I would write about four lines then take a break to write the next four lines so that I wouldn't jumble the rhymes up in my head.

Here is my sonnet:

Shall I explain to thee my OTP?
Their love so true, their bond so strong
why whatever else could they be
but loving each other and for so long.
Sometimes people are too stupid to see
the light that shines within his eyes
or the gentle upturn of his sweet lips.
A shame if such a love you could deny,
because he is the moon, the other his sun.
The wars, oh the horrific shipping wars,
we are all scarred, covered in painful sores.
    So long as the sun and moon will rise
     love for my OTP shall never die.


I must admit that the subject matter of my sonnet was fun to write about. I had a hard time keeping the rhythm of the poem. I would have to rewrite lines multiple times before it would be in rhythm and still rhyme with the line it was supposed to rhyme with. Sonnets have always been a huge challenge for me.
  

5 comments:

  1. That last couplet rocks, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your subject was really clever! The meter felt a little rough at times, like the line "Sometimes people are too stupid to see", but overall I thought you did a really good job. Overall I thought it was really funny and I liked your joking use of imagery with the sun and moon and the shipping wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cracked me up. And maybe also made me think of Captain America/Black Widow, but that's another story entirely... :)

    ReplyDelete