Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Shakespeare's into Zombies Too

I thought I had read Winter's Tale when I was a kid because the story sounded very familiar and I had made an effort to read all of Shakespeare's plays at one point or another (always failing). I thought I had until I got to the finale of the play when Hermione's statue came back to life! ... ... I would have remembered that one.
I was really shocked and didn't know what to make of it. How did it happen? Did Paulina and Hermione fake her death, like in Romeo and Juliet, for sixteen years? If so, that seems a little harsh. Was it really magic, which makes sense in a romance? So I found "Hermione's Wrinkles, or, Ovid Transformed" by Martin Mueller. It explained that Antigonus' vision of Hermione and the king's checking of both his son's and wife's death explained away the idea of them tricking death. The article concludes that it was not black magic (as Paulina explains), but more to do with the power of art and love. Basically, what we learned in class. It is a romance where unlikely things can just happen.
This was by far the biggest shock I've ever received reading Shakespeare. It shows that we are trained to more or less know what to expect from him. My only regret was that I read this play before I saw it live for the first time. What a shock this must have been to the original audience!

3 comments:

  1. I never even considered that it was magic.... I just always assumed that Paulina faked her death..... You seriously just blew my mind with this post....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a different take on it as well. I guess to me it was more of the doing of Apollo because the oracle said that there wouldn't be another heir to the throne until the daughter was found. So of course, the son would have to be out of the picture to eliminate him as heir and also the queen so that there was no way the king could faithfully conceive another child. Therefore, in my mind, it all came about sort of like a curse from the Gods in order for the oracle to be true. However, I never expected her to come back to life.. it's weird that if it was all according to the oracle, that only Hermione came back and not the son also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first the statue coming to life really weirded me out too. It was a big risk for Shakespeare to take since it requires a huge stretch of the imagination for the audience to get it. I think the risk was worth it though because it does make a very powerful statement about love, faith, etc. It's definitely not an image that the audience could forget.

    ReplyDelete