Sunday, September 13, 2015

Theseus and the Mechanicals

     So. I really enjoyed reading A Midsummer Night's Dream, it's been a while. But I know the story, so there wasn't a lot that was really new to me in reading it again. Which made me think - what should I post about? But then I thought about the play within a play which, to be honest, I had never really cared about when I was younger and always skimmed over. But this time, paying more attention to it, I actually found it pretty interesting. I really liked seeing the lovers' reactions to the play. They were actually very supportive and kind to the simple actors. I think a quote by Theseus was pretty telling. Right before the actors come in, he says to Hippolyta about their efforts, "The kinder we, to give them thanks for nothing. / Our sport shall be to take what they mistake: / And what poor duty cannot do, noble respect / Takes it in might, not merit." Then he tells how even in the nervous stuttering of "great clerks" of state that "throttle their practiced accent in their fears" - even when someone means to greet him royally but fails because of nerves - he still can "[pick] a welcome." As he says, "Love, therefore, and tongue tied simplicity / in least speak most, to my capacity." Really, it wasn't that big of a speech in the scheme of things, or the play, but I really liked what it said about Theseus - that he appreciates effort, thought, and devotion more than just skill in what others do for him. So even though the play was rough at best, he still was kind and made the most of it, because he appreciated what they (the mechanicals) had put in to it... Hm, I hope that that made sense. But basically I was just impressed with Theseus and his kindness. It was something that I had never noticed before when reading the play.

1 comment:

  1. Even though I paid special attention to Pyramus and Thisbe, I didn't notice Theseus's kindness towards the mechanicals! Reading your observations made me happy. I had only focused on the slight jabs the court made at the players, which added to the humor of the play within a play. But I appreciate this new insight into Theseus's character! I like him a little more now. :)

    ReplyDelete