Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Bear"-ly Hanging In




I'm tempted to just leave these here and refrain from commenting, but the irony of letting the bear speak for itself after reading the first panel was too much.

The biggest struggle for me is trying to remain sympathetic to all characters. It's an emotionally charged play, and it's hard to remain objective about characters, especially Leontes. With so much left to interpretation as we discussed in class, I can't help but project my own experiences and relationship dynamics onto the characters. I don't like any of them. Maybe that's the point. This play embraces strong emotions--jealousy, rage, betrayal, passion--and facing down powerful emotions like that requires commitment. It's easier to be dismissive and marginalize the characters. I'm looking forward to a good adaptation to help me get over my own minor baggage blocking my view. Did anyone find one?

3 comments:

  1. Wait, you don't even like Florizel or Perdita?! What's not to like?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I'm kind of having the same response because of the universal emotions Shakespeare is portraying. I just want to read this play and not have my interpretation of it affected by my perceptions! (As if...) I guess this is a mark that Shakespeare is a good writer, though. Being able to get people in touch with these emotions, however reluctant his audience is, is a pretty powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really funny that both of you say that. I didn't really notice it until I read your comments and then I looked back on my reading of it. I definitely thought about how I would feel in the situation with Leontes if he were my husband and how my husband would be reacting. So I guess that does reflect how Shakespeare's use of emotions directly drags the audience in to make it feel like their experience, but I didn't even realize!

    ReplyDelete