Sunday, September 13, 2015

This was my first time reading the original play and I absolutely loved it. Shakespeare sets up the love triangles in a pretty complicated way. Lysander loves Hermia, and Hermia loves Lysander too. But Demetrius loves Hermia too. And to make it worse, Hermia's dad insists she marry Demetrius and not Lysander. But Hermia says she would rather die than not marry Lysander. So Demetrius doesn't have Hermia's love, but Helena (Hermia's friend) is in love with him. He used to be in love with her too until he met Hermia. Dang! And you thought your love life was complicated?
What struck my interest was the conflict Shakespeare presents in this plot. Before anything happens in the play's conflict its already interesting. Not to mention its pretty modern day typical. It seems like something you could find on a ABC family drama series at 9:00 on a Monday night, which is stellar. Props to Shakespeare for outlining the love triangles which will continue onward into MTV, ABC, and even Disney movies for centuries to come.
However, I was a little confused when I found out there was a big focus on fairies in the play. At first, I was disappointed because of my excitement about it being so "modern-day." They felt a little out of place. But when I found out they were just as interested in the love affairs of the humans, and they planned to disrupt them, it made it even more interesting!
Plus, the play is hilarious. I was cracking up the entire time.

2 comments:

  1. There's another post on the blog that talks about the use of fairies, I thought it was interesting to think about. I also really enjoyed the love triangle... or square? Haha I thought that the most interesting thing about the love triangle, and the thing that added the most to its humor, was how polar everyone's emotions were. One moment Lysander is proclaiming his love to Hermia, and the next moment he is verbally spitting on her. Their language is so extreme, I thought it was hilarious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's another post on the blog that talks about the use of fairies, I thought it was interesting to think about. I also really enjoyed the love triangle... or square? Haha I thought that the most interesting thing about the love triangle, and the thing that added the most to its humor, was how polar everyone's emotions were. One moment Lysander is proclaiming his love to Hermia, and the next moment he is verbally spitting on her. Their language is so extreme, I thought it was hilarious too.

    ReplyDelete