Friday, December 14, 2012

Teaching Shakespeare Through the Graphic Novel... The Story

Looking back on my writing process, the absolute only thing that I knew from the beginning was that I wanted the paper to be applicable to teaching. I knew this would make me most motivated to write the paper, being something that I'm really passionate about (and knowing that teaching Shakespeare will no doubt be expected from me). I think I did a pretty good job of posting about the social networking experiences that really gave my paper some hold in the real world of teaching and studying Shakespeare (herehere, and here). Initially, my scope was really large (I wanted to cover teaching Shakespeare through many multiple genres), but comments from others, and an experience with reading my first graphic novel in my YA Lit class focused me in on a subject that I really didn't know much about... and that I now really care about. I spent a lot of time revising my paper before I turned it in (largely due to some great feedback that Dr. Burton gave me on my draft), and that's left me with mainly additions (rather than edits) to make in the final final paper. I'm still working on the publication part... something that I've talked to a few English teaching professors about. Kasey gave me the idea to send the final final paper to Sirpa Grierson (others in her ENGL 379 class have written about graphic novels, and she publishes a lot), so I'm planning to do that. I'm also considering trying to contact some of the adapters of Shakespeare's work into graphic novels, per Dr. Burton's suggestion-- I think that could get some pretty cool results.

No comments:

Post a Comment