Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Learning Outcomes


Gain Shakespeare Literacy
I think the class structure contributed to gaining a breadth of knowledge. The plays we read as a class were good, and I think it was a good idea to have each member of our class read a different play for the research unit. Although I wouldn't consider myself an expert on each of the plays my classmates read, I have definitely been exposed to more than I previously had been, and I have an interest in furthering my study through more extensive reading. The research paper helped me reach a greater depth of understanding of Othello, and see its value in multiple venues (just for pleasure reading for educators, for psychology, for students, etc.). I appreciated being able to watch multiple films during the course of the semester, because I think that I understand plays more easily when I am seeing them. This class also gave me an opportunity to view other adaptations of plays I had previously seen. The large focus on digital literacy has also helped me to see the huge impact that Shakespeare has had on popular culture. It was fun to see Shakespeare references appearing on Facebook once I started looking for them. His influence is everywhere!

Analyze Shakespeare Critically
I think the research paper obviously was meant to address this Learning Outcome, and I feel like it fulfilled its purpose doing that. My research paper helped me look at major themes in terms of my English Education major, which was something I have never done before, but I think it was applicable and useful for me. It also allowed me to look at criticism in other fields that can be applied to Shakespeare.
I also think the film adaptations we watched helped. I have been asked to do a film analysis on a play in previous classes, but it was helpful to receive specific guidelines on what to look for when analyzing film.


Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
Again, the research paper helped me achieve the formal writing portion of this outcome. I had a fair amount of success researching conferences and when I contacted one of them they responded within 20 minutes. When I contacted them, they had yet to determine the theme of the conference, but it still seems like a viable option.
 I have also liked the blog format that contributed to more informal writing. It was useful for me to have a place to record my thoughts along the way in a more journal-like setting. I also benefitted from the exchange that took place between classmates, especially when all of us are involved in teaching connected. Kasey's paper that she posted helped me on my research paper, and one of Jessica's papers did the same thing.
I also had my own experience sharing my work informally. I connected with old friends and a teacher via Facebook and we were able to renew ties while discussing something that was special to us. I also had in-person conversations with friends (especially my friend Karen) that helped give focus to my ideas and research. This was very beneficial to me.

Gain Digital Literacy
I didn't anticipate the emphasis that this class would place on digital literacy, but I am grateful for the skills I learned. I have been able to learn how to use Twitter and Facebook among other sites to further my research, which was an unexpected but helpful avenue. I had no idea how to search through Twitter before, but I feel comfortable doing so now. I think posting my work on Scholars Archive will meet the "create" portion, and I am excited to do that. That is an exciting chance that BYU has opened to its students.
I mentioned this in the section above, but this class has given me numerous ways to connect to other people. I think that I have excited other people about Shakespeare and I hope that their interest and enthusiasm will continue.

Final Thoughts
This class has given me many new strategies for research, as well as has given me a renewed enthusiasm for Shakespeare's works. Although this may sound silly, I loved the research paper. It was exciting to me to really apply what I am learning in class to what I hope to be doing in the future. I want to share an excitement for Shakespeare with my future students and show them that it can truly be applicable to their lives. I have never enjoyed writing a paper as much as I have this one (more to come in the research paper post).
I have also appreciated the lessons in digital literacy. I am amazed at how accessible Shakespeare is if you are willing to look. Just the other day I was reading an old devotional address from Elder Holland (you can read it here) and he mentions Othello in his talk. It is incredible that Shakespeare really is everywhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment