Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Twelfth Night (Branagh)

I see someone else has already posted on this movie, but I haven't read it yet, so hopefully I won't repeat everything that has already been said.
I was a little frustrated with this production. Shakespeare is difficult because in order to preserve the language, one has to preserve the historical setting, or else it is inconsistent. Some of the costuming in this production was inaccurate historically, and it made the language seem a little out of place.
What I did really like was that this entire production takes place out-of-doors, and all in essentially the same place. That holds true very well to the play-like qualities I often think of with Shakespeare productions.
I had never actually read or seen any kind of production of this play before. I had seen She's the Man so I had a very vague idea of the story, but other than that, I went into this pretty blind. And you know, this is possibly my least favorite of all Shakespeare I've ever seen/read. It was very pointless. So much of the plot is based on pranks and motives that seemed rather weak or under-explained that I definitely was not kept involved. As a production, however, it was fantastic. The acting was very good. The actor for Viola/Cesario was very expressive and convincing.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is interesting that you disliked the costumes but liked the setting! I was kind of the opposite. I didn't particularly care for the costuming, but i didn't find it altogether jarring. I didn't very much like the setting though. It felt a lot like the King Lear we watched. Loved the acting, but was bored by the setting. I see what you mean, though, about it being simplistic. But I think I prefer to actually be outside watching a play, rather than watching a T.V production of a play that looks like it is outside. Interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete